Is Dizziness a Problem For You?
Dizziness and balance problems account for 5 to 10 percent of all physician visits and affect approximately 50 percent of all adults at some time. Causes are varied and all patients should have a medical assessment prior to starting physiotherapy.
Common causes of dizziness can be due to Cardiovascular issues, neurological dysfunctions, visual deficits, psychogenic issues (anxiety, depressions). It can also be due to vestibular system disorders:
- BPPV-Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
- Head Trauma (whiplash) -a frequent cause of vestibular disorder in people under age 50.
- Vestibular system degeneration-primarily in an elderly population
- Ear infections and inner ear infections
- Ototoxicity-high dosage or long term use of certain antibiotics
- Barotrauma- scuba diving-pressure/miners
- Vascular insufficiency
Vestibular Rehabilitation Services:
A thorough assessment of the above systems is performed to identify the source of the problem. Treatment techniques and/or vestibular exercises are then given to accommodate the system. See Vestibular.org for more information.